Skip to main content

Building codes and NFPA codes can only protect so much, they are a extension of common sense and a way to uniform protection for buildings and their users. But do they go far enough? for some maybe not nearly far enoughSee the full story here:   News Story

The building was evacuated and unfortunately the manager was found unconscious in the basement. In total 26 people were affected with CO poisoning.

It was subsequently determined that there was a leak in the flu pipe coming from a water heater, the restaurant did not have a CO detector of any kind installed on the premises as the state code, like many, only requires CO detectors to be fitted in establishments where people can sleep.

Could this unfortunate incident have been averted? yes o course it could have been and it should have been. CO detection for restaurants should already be in state and national building codes,

Our Merlin range of GSP panels can test for up to four separate gasses and will not only shut off the gas supply to the building but will also notify the surrounding inhabitants through an audible alarm. Starting at $368.00 (plus tax) it really isn’t that big of an investment and who can put a price on the health and safety of your staff and patrons.

Our Merlin range of Kitchen Interlocks can also be fitted with add on CO, CO2, Nat Gas and LPG sensors, connecting to the exhaust fans in the kitchen and the main gas supply to the building warning of any gas build up in the environment. Starting at $1240.00 (plus tax) we can defend the entire building and the occupants.

It turned out that the restaurants gas supply was a joint supply with another establishment which I also feel should be considered for code change, stipulating each occupier should have their own supply line and that it should be protected with automatic shut off valves connected to either Kitchen Interlocks of Gas Detection equipment will make everyone safer, and at such a reasonable cost.

Check out the website for more innovative solution designs from American Gas Safety