Lake Sumter State College refurbishments for gas safety

By | Uncategorized

Lake Sumter State College have now installed multiple Merlin 1000SW+i utility systems in their science classrooms

Over the past few weeks huge refurbishments have taken place across the college, including the Health Science building where our Merlin 1000SW+i have been installed. This work was carried out by a company named S I Goldman, a mechanical contractor based in Longwood Florida who have done an excellent job in installing our equipment.

The system installed is our Merlin 1000SW+i, which controls Gas, Water and Electric within the science laboratories. This system has built in connectivity allowing the panel to communicate with the schools BMS and has connections for the buildings existing fire alarm system. The panel can either tell the BMS that the gas is “ON” or “OFF” or with the flick of a switch on the internal control panel it can tell the BMS that the panel has gone into “Alarm”, high concentrations of CO2, gas leak detected or that an EM stop has been actuated. An example of one of the rooms where our Merlin 1000SW+i is installed at the LSSC is pictured below.

For more information on our Merlin range of utility controllers, please see our website or call the office on (727)608-4375 where one of our sales team will be more than willing to help.

1 Dead and Several Injured after a Carbon Monoxide leak at hotel pool

By | Uncategorized

A teenage boy has died and 14 other people were hospitalized after guests at a southern Michigan hotel were found unconscious around an indoor pool due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

The injured 14 were taken to a local hospital and upon arrival one person was ‘confirmed dead’ according to Jessica Hines, a spokeswoman for Lakeland Hospital. The Niles Police Department identified the deceased as 13-year-old Bryan Douglas Watts of Niles. Eight other children were taken to Memorial Hospital in South Bend, Indiana, police said. Three were released by Saturday evening and the other five were reported in good condition Sunday at noon.

Nile Fire Department Captain Don Wise attributed the incident to a faulty pool heater. “The ventilation system on the heater had issues. The exhaust was not functioning properly,” said Wise. “Our mechanical inspector verified that. The hotel is shut down until repairs are made.”

Police said that, when they arrived, carbon monoxide levels at the hotel were 800 parts per million, according to CNN Affiliate WBND-TV. US standards for carbon monoxide are 35 parts per million for a one-hour exposure.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless and tasteless gas that is produced when a fuel is burned. When too much carbon monoxide is in the air, it can replace the oxygen in red blood cells and can also lead to tissue damage or death. According to the police, the hotel’s poolroom had no carbon monoxide detectors which we at American Gas Safety see as a life threatening risk.

Full details of the news coverage can be found on the following link