32 treated after Carbon Monoxide forces evacuation of NYC building

High levels of carbon monoxide spewed by a faulty oil burner that caught fire in the basement of a Lower Manhattan apartment building has sickened 32 people this Tuesday morning, according to the Fire Department.

All 12 stories of the building between Murray Street and Park Place, along West Broadway, were evacuated. The fire, which was reported around 8:30 a.m., grew to a two-alarm fire by 9 a.m. By mid morning, 25 fire vehicles and 106 firefighters were on the scene. The incident occurred in the basement of the Amish Market, a grocery store in the building.

This potentially life threatening incident could have been prevented by using one of our Carbon Monoxide Detectors, which will provide an audible and visual alarm if the levels rise to a dangerous level. Our Carbon Monoxide detectors will also close the gas solenoid valve preventing further use of gas in the building until the levels reach a safe level, therefore avoiding any additional safety hazards. For a full range of Utility control solutions please contact American Gas Safety direct or visit our website www.americangassafety.com

Full details of the news coverage can be found on the following link http://abcnews.go.com/US/32-treated-carbon-monoxide-forces-evacuation-nyc-building/story?id=48004740